Thursday, July 14, 2011

Suds or No Suds

ECO-FRIENDLY
Homemade Laundry Detergent


I have been making my own handmade laundry detergent for the past few years.
I started making it when the economy turned south in effort to save money
and use something better for the environment.
In addition to that the Tide bottles in the stores seemed to be getting smaller
and the price was getting bigger.
I call that CRAZZZZYYYYY!
I just had enough and I thought no more of this store bought laundry soap.


Homemade Laundry Detergent
1 Bar of Fels Naptha Soap
1 cup Washing Soda or Baking Soda
1 cup Borax Powder

Simply grated the Fels Naptha Soap bar and mix with the wash soda and borax. I put the three ingredients in a food processor to create a fine powder. To make the Fels Naptha Soap bar easier to grate I wrap it in the paper towel and place it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Directions:
Use 1 Tbsp of Laundry Soap per load.
Everything comes out just super clean and soft as it did when I used the pricey store bought laundry detergent.
This handmade detergent works well in warm or cold water.
This is an exceptionally fresh smelling laundry detergent you can feel
great about using for your clothes.
Cleans and smells FANTASTIC! 
This detergent has no added fragrance, so the clean, fresh smell comes only from the grated soap.
If you prefer a scent just drop in a few drops of your favorite essential oil into the detergent
or use one of our handmade soap bars from Natural Garden Soaps
in place of the Fels Naptha soap bar.
Plus one of the best things is that this handmade detergent is Eco~Friendly and free from Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Sulfates are foaming agents that is used in commercial soaps and laundry detergents. I choose to avoid products with sulfates because they are bad for the environment and possibly bad for my health. This handmade detergent is safe for septic systems and has no suds which makes it perfect for all washers. Don't be alarmed if it doesn't suds up like yours use to...this handmade natural detergent cleans great with no suds.
What laundry soap do you use to clean your clothes?
Happy Washing!

7 comments:

mama j said...

can't wait to get my "last ingredient" to try this out--couldn't find the arm& hammer at the grocery-hoping WalMart has it. Other subsitute if I can't find it?

Paula Parrish said...

Hello Jessi,
You should be able to find everything you need for this recipe at Walmart or Publix. Thanks for your comment.
Smiles, Paula

mama j said...

I DID IT! I didn't even attempt to grate the bar by hand--since I was pulling out my food processor anyways, I put in the grater piece, softened the bar for 15 secs in the micro and "grated" in 20 seconds. Have already done 1 load of wash. Dana is a little "skeptical" but I showed him product and he laughed when I said "It's not like Paula has walked around wearing dirty clothes for two years-of COURSE it cleans!" lol. I'm gonna share your link and beautiful photos of product on my blog. ;o)

Heather said...

I am really intrigued and would like to try it myself, just wondering how well it would work in high efficiency washers, would it clog them up?

Paula Parrish said...

I leave my handmade detergent in the food processor longer to make it powder fine; thinking that maybe better for my wash machine. This detergent clean GREAT!
Smiles, Paula

Kari said...

Thanks for this, Paula, will definitely be trying it on my crew...and thank Chad for sending me here! BTW, your blog is very eye pleasing...many are not. Good job!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!!! I'm hooked!